On January 26th, 1979, Bauhaus entered Beck Studios in Wellingborough, England and created their gothic rock masterpiece “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”. The song would take the greater part of the year to see its release when it was issued by Small Wonder Records on August 6th.
During that session 4 other tracks were recorded, but went unreleased such as the Ska Reggae inspired song “Harry”, (named after Blondie’s Debbie Harry) which would emerge later on the Kick in Eye (Searching For Satori EP), and the CD version of Mask. Another track “Bite My Hip” would later be re-recorded as “Lagartija Nick”. Other unreleased tracks on the EP are the extremely “Some Faces”, and the original version of “Boys”, which was re-recorded for the original 12 inch’s b-side.
The Bela Session comes out on vinyl on November 23rd, and is the first official vinyl reissue of “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” in over 30 years.
Check out the the nine-and-a-half minute remaster of “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” which can be streamed below.
A special red vinyl version of The Bela Session will be exclusively available through Vinyl Me, Please’s member store. Additionally, Beggars Arkive have plans to reissue Bauhaus’ entire catalog on colored vinyl later this year to further celebrate the band’s 40th anniversary. More details as they come.
See the tracklist and artwork for the Bela Session’s below.
The Bela Session Artwork:
The Bela Session Tracklist:
- Bela Lugosi’s Dead
- Some Faces *
- Bite My Hip *
- Boys (Original) *
* = Previously unreleased
Peter Murphy and David J are hitting the road together this Autumn to celebrate Bauhaus’ 40th anniversary, “The Ruby Celebration Tour”.
Ruby Celebration Tour Dates:
- 10/18 – Wellington, [email protected] San Fran
- 10/19 – Christchurch, @ [email protected] Foundry
- 10/20 – Auckland, AU @ Powerstation
- 10/22 – Adelaide, AU @ Governor Hindmarsh
- 10/25 – Brisbane, AU @ The Zoo
- 10/26 – Melbourne, AU @ Max Watts
- 10/27 – Sydney, AU @ The Factory
- 10/28 – Perth, AU @ The Capitol Theatre
- 11/06 – St Petersburg, RS @ Aurora Hall
- 11/07 – Moscow, RS @ Glavclub
- 11/09 – Belgrade, RS @ Dom Omladine Beograda
- 11/10 – Frankfurt, DE @ Das Bett
- 11/12 – Zurich, CH @ Mascotte
- 11/14 – Paris, FR @ Bataclan
- 11/18 – Madrid, ES @ La Riviera
- 11/19 – Barcelona, ES @ Razzmataz
- 11/21 – Rome, IT @ Orion Live Club
- 11/22 – Milan, IT @ Fabrique
- 11/23 – Munich, DE @ Ampere
- 11/24 – Bochum, DE @ Christuskirche
- 11/26 – Wroclaw, PL @ A2
- 11/27 – Berlin, DE @ Columbia Theater
- 11/28 – Hamburg, DE @ Knust
- 12/02 – Northampton, UK @ Roadmender
- 12/04 – Manchester, UK @ O2 Ritz
- 12/05 – Glasgow, UK @ SWG3
- 12/06 – Northampton, UK @ Roadmender
- 12/08 – Leeds, UK @ Leeds Beckett SU
- 12/09 – London, UK @ O2 Forum Kentish Town
- 12/11 – Copenhagen, DK @ Store Vega
- 12/12 – Stockholm, SW @ Nalen
- 12/14 – Athens, GR @ Gazi Music Hall
- 12/15 – Thessaloniki, GR @ Principal Club Theater