The Los Angeles City Council is declaring Friday, November 10th, “Morrissey Day”. To honor the occasion the city will be presenting the Mancunian singer with an official commemorative certificate at the first of his two sold-out Hollywood Bowl shows.
This is not much of a surprise given the singer’s immense popularity in the City of Angels. in part due to his frequent airplay on local radio station KROQ. The city’s Mayor Eric Garcetti had this to say about the announcement:
“Morrissey Day celebrates an artist whose music has captivated and inspired generations of people who may not always fit in — because they were born to stand out.”
Additionally, the Hollywood Bowl will be changing its menus to all vegetarian cuisine for Morrissey’s two scheduled performances.
“Morrissey Day honors the man who put the ‘M’ in Moz Angeles, an icon whose music continues to touch and uplift countless people across the globe,” said Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez. “Morrissey uses his voice to raise awareness for many social issues while ‘in his own strange way,’ always staying true to his fans.”
In other Morrissey related news:
You Have Chilled Me
Meanwhile Morrissey has been taking flack for canceling his gig at the Vina Robles Amphitheatre in the central California town of Paso Robles, due to the stage heating system breaking down. Read More Here…
Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up on the Stage
Morrissey had also released another track from his 11 studio album Low In High School, which is due out on November 17th. The latest single Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up on the Stage will be released as a 7″ single, also featuring a cover of Elvis Presley’s “You’ll Be Gone” as the record’s B-side.
Listen to the track below
Morrissey Tour dates:
- Fri, Nov 10 – Los Angeles, CA – Hollywood Bowl w/ Billy Idol (SOLD OUT)
- Sat, Nov 11 – Los Angeles, CA – Hollywood Bowl w/ Billy Idol (SOLD OUT)
- Thu, Nov 16 – Phoenix, AZ – Marquee
- Sat, Nov 18 – Salt Lake City, UT – Kingsbury Hall
- Mon, Nov 20 – Denver, CO – Paramount Theatre
- Wed, Nov 22 – St. Louis, MO – Peabody Opera House
- Sat, Nov 25 – Chicago, IL – Riviera Theater
- Tue, Nov 28 – Detroit, MI – The Fillmore Detroit
- Thu, Nov 30 – Washington, DC – The Anthem
- Sat, Dec 2 – New York, NY – Theatre at Madison Square Garden
- Mon, Dec 4 – Philadelphia, PA – The Fillmore
- Thu, Dec 7 – Boston, MA – Orpheum Theatre