Following the announcement yesterday of The Cure’s induction to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, frontman Robert Smith took to SiriusXM’s radio show Debatable to discuss the honor finally being bestowed upon his now 40-year-old band and to announce The Cure’s first new studio album in 11 years.
Smith’s decision to finally release a followup to 2008’s 4:13 Dream, was “primarily because of the Meltdown thing”, referring to when earlier this year the beloved post-punk musician found new inspiration from the 60 artists he personally enlisted to perform during his 10-night “Curætion” of the 25th annual Meltdown festival in London.
Smith told hosts Mark Goodman and Alan Light:
“Seeing all these new bands—I’ve listened to some of these bands and met so many of them that it’s kind of inspired me to do something new. So, yes, we’re going in about six weeks time to finish off what will be our first album in more than a decade. It’s very exciting times for us all around.”
Listen to a clip from the show below.
The Cure Live 2019:
- Saturday March 16 – The Festival Lawns at Carnival City, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Thursday March 21 – Kenilworth Racecourse, Cape Town, South Africa
- Saturday June 8 – Malahide Castle, Dublin, Ireland
- Sunday June 16 – FIRENZE ROCKS Festival, Florence, Italy
- Friday 21 – Sunday June 23 – HURRICANE and SOUTSIDE Festivals, Germany
- Monday 24 – Wednesday June 26 – INMusic Festival, Zagreb, Croatia
- Friday June 28 – Rock Werchter Festival, Belgium
- Saturday July 6 – Roskilde Festival, Denmark
- Thursday July 4 – EXIT Festival Serbia
- Thursday July 11 – NOS Alive Festival, Portugal
- Wednesday July 17 – EJEKT Festival Plateia Nerou, Faliro, Athens, Greece
- Thursday 18 – Saturday 20 – Colours Of Ostrava, Czech Republic
- Monday 22 – Rock The City Festival, Bucharest, Romania
- Saturday August 3 – Afisha Picnic, Moscow, Russia
- Wednesday August 7 – Øya Festival, Oslo, Norway
- Friday 9 – Sunday August 11 – Flow Festival, Helsinki, Finland
- Friday August 16 – Glasgow Summer Sessions, Scotland
- Friday August 23 – Rock En Seine Festival, France