UK Post-Punk Stalwarts New Model Army have announced their new album From Here, the follow up to 2016’s Winter.
The new 12 track album is once again led by frontman and songwriter Justin Sullivan and was recorded on the Norwegian island of Giske at the beautiful Ocean Sound Recordings studio, reflecting the spectacular isolation of that environment, while having profound messages for the world we all live in and the times we are experiencing.
The record will be released on the 23rd August and can be pre-ordered in hardbook CD, Vinyl and Special Edition splatter Vinyl, along with t-shirts from the New Model Army Store.
The band has released the following statement along with the album’s announcement:
“We have often heard it said that the album is dead. We don’t believe this is true; because if you study what people actually watch, while much of it is short hits and Youtube clips, they also love long series that create a particular atmosphere and entry into another world in which they can submerge themselves. Since “Between Dog and Wolf”, we have tried to make records that work in the same way.
Only this time we’ve gone a little further. “From Here” was mostly written in just two months and recorded in only nine days. It has a particular sound and a particular atmosphere that we hope draws people in. We decided to work again with Lee Smith and Jamie Lockhart, with whom we have developed a productive relationship over a few years, and they persuaded us to leave a lot of the details of the music to the spontaneity of the moment, and to go to what is probably the most beautiful recording studio in the world, Ocean Sound Recordings on the tiny Norwegian island of Giske, and let the place do its magic.
We all have different lives and different tastes in many things (including music). One thing we have in common is the love of bleak, open, cold, rugged landscapes – water, snow and rock. So this was the perfect place for us to create something collectively – at all times while we were working, we could see through the windows the sky, the sea and the melting snow on the mountains, all in a constant state of change. No environment has had such an effect on the band’s music since we discovered the Sawmill Studios in Cornwall and created Hex, Thunder & Consolation and Impurity there thirty years ago.
So this album has a feel that is different to our other albums, but it still contains all the elements that characterise our curiously unidentifiable music – perhaps even more than ever. And “From Here” was an obvious title. The record belongs to a very special place and also a particular time – what is happening in the world now and where we are as a band and as people.” -Justin, Michael, Dean, Marshall and Ceri.
Ahead of the From Here’s release, New Model army art set to perform at this year’s Wave Gotik Treffen in Leipzig, with a full European tour to follow in October and November.
All tickets will be on general sale (UK & Europe) Thursday 16 May 10am. For more ticket and tour info go here.
- 08/06 Leipzig, DE Wave Gotik Treffen
- 08/10 Southampton, 1865 UK
- 09/10 Paris, Maroquinerie FR
- 10/10 Dortmund, FZW DE
- 11/10 Hamburg, Markthalle DE
- 12/10 Berlin, Huxleys DE
- 13/10 Poznan, Tama PL
- 15/10 Gdynia, Ucho PL
- 16/10 Warsaw, Proxima PL
- 17/10 Wroclaw, Stary Klasztor PL
- 18/10 Krakow, Kwadrat PL
- 19/10 Budapest, A38 HU
- 20/10 TBA
- 22/10 Winterthur, Salzhaus CH
- 23/10 Fribourg, Fri-Son CH
- 24/10 Freiburg, Jazzhaus DE
- 25/10 Munchen, Backstage DE
- 26/10 Stuttgart, LKA Longhorn DE
- 27/10 Nürnberg, Hirsh DE
- 29/10 Dresden, Beatpol DE
- 30/10 Frankfurt, Batschkapp DE
- 31/10 Losheim, Eisenbanhalle DE
- 01/11 Rijkevorsel, De Singer BE
- 02/11 Strasbourg, Laiterie FR
- 13/11 Bristol, SWX UK
- 14/11 London, Electric Ballroom UK
- 15/11 Cambridge, Junction UK
- 16/11 Leeds, Stylus UK
- 17/11 Cardiff, Tramshed UK
- 19/11 Chester, Live Rooms UK
- 20/11 Newcastle, Boiler Shop UK
- 21/11 Edinburgh, Liquid Rooms UK
- 22/11 Manchester, O2 Ritz UK
- 23/11 Birmingham, O2 Institute UK
- 30/11 Istanbul, Zorlu Psm Studio TR
- 12/12 Brighton, Concorde 2 UK
- 13/12 Amsterdam, Melkweg NL
- 14/12 Köln, Palladium DE
- 21/12 Nottingham, Rock City UK